Serving as the foundation of our GradFUTURES model, acquiring and honing these six core competencies will help you on the path to achieving your professional goals. Conversations between mentors and mentees may focus on advice and referrals related to building experience in each of these competencies. For all GradFUTURES Online Resources and Events, please visit the GradFUTURES Professional Competencies website.
Research & Data Analysis
Learn to conduct original and independent research within and beyond your discipline using methods that will enhance knowledge across many fields.
- Conduct research within and beyond your discipline
- Use digital technologies and programming languages
- Leverage data visualization tools
- Support socially-engaged research
- Develop and manage budgets
For a comprehensive list of events and resources, please visit GradFUTURES Research & Data Analysis page.
Leadership & Collaboration
Leadership and collaboration skills are essential in all work environments. Learn to manage multidisciplinary teams in creating breakthrough ideas and finding innovative solutions.
- Discover ways to lead and collaborate with diverse teams through inclusion practices
- Learn professionalism and ethics
- Foster innovation and entrepreneurship
- Gain project management skills and global and intercultural fluency
For a comprehensive list of events and resources, please visit GradFUTURES Leadership & Collaboration page.
Written and Verbal Communication
Strong spoken and written communication skills are essential to any profession. Explore ways to communicate complex topics efficiently and demonstrate your expertise and research to diverse audiences.
- Hone writing skills for publication
- Learn how to present your work to audiences of different sizes
- Demonstrate the impact and relevance of your research and scholarship
- Establish thought leadership and subject matter expertise
For a comprehensive list of events and resources, please visit GradFUTURES Written and Verbal Communication page.
Teaching & Mentoring
As a graduate student at Princeton, part of your experience is becoming a teacher and mentor to other scholars within our community, and beyond. Gain knowledge of instructional pedagogies, assessment methods and how to promote inclusive teaching environments.
- Navigate paths to teach at the college level
- Create inclusive learning environments
- Understand instructional techniques and assessment methods
- Mentor undergraduate students, early scholars, and peers
For a comprehensive list of events and resources, please visit GradFUTURES Teaching & Mentoring page.
Gain clarity, confidence, and connections as you explore diverse career paths. Develop lifelong career management skills that will enable you to achieve your current and future professional goals.
- Build professional relationships and lasting connections
- Explore professional options and develop a plan
- Leverage social and digital media to establish your professional branding
For a comprehensive list of events and resources, please visit GradFUTURES Career Management page.
Personal Well-being & Effectiveness
Maximizing your well-being allows you to thrive in all aspects of your academic, personal, and professional life. Establish healthy practices to foster resilience, social connectedness, and balance.
- Balance your academic, personal, and professional life
- Learn time management and organizational skills
- Develop strategies for self-care and to manage stress
- Cultivate financial wellness
For a comprehensive list of events and resources, please visit GradFUTURES Personal Well-being & Effectiveness page.