The Northeast Big Data Innovation Hub is a community convener, collaboration hub, and catalyst for data science innovation in the Northeast Region. Our mission is to strengthen partnerships across academia, industry, nonprofits, and government to address societal and scientific challenges, spur economic development, and accelerate innovation in the national big data ecosystem. We are headquartered at Columbia University in the City of New York and serve the data science community across the northeast U.S. including Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont. We are part of a collaborative network of four big data hubs funded by NSF, the others in the Midwest, South and West ( https://bigdatahubs.org/ ).
The Northeast Big Data Innovation Hub is excited to offer a Princeton University GradFUTURES fellow the opportunity to join our team to collaboratively lead data science innovation in four main focus areas: Health; Education + Data Literacy; Responsible Data Science including Security + Privacy + Ethics; and Urban to Rural Communities. ( https://nebigdatahub.org/about ) The Fellow will learn how to build collaborative research and education communities in data and domain sciences addressing societal and scientific challenges, including working with academia, not for profits, industry and government, and building the next generation of researchers and data scientists in the northeast region. The fellow will work closely with the Executive Director of the Hub, Florence Hudson, Princeton MAE’80, Founder and CEO of FDHint, LLC, former IBM Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Internet2 Senior Vice President and Chief Innovation Officer, who also serves on multiple advisory boards including the Princeton University Civil & Environmental Engineering Advisory Council.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES may include leadership and participation in the following projects, with other duties as assigned:
- Northeast Student Data Corps (NSDC): Develop data science use cases, curriculum, mentoring programs, and internship programs to enable the development of data science skills for underserved students. (https://nebigdatahub.org/nsdc/)
- COVID Information Commons (CIC): Enable global COVID-19 and pandemic collaborative research through the CIC, growing the 990 NSF awards in the CIC to include additional COVID research from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), other agencies, and international collaborators. (https://covidinfocommons.net)
- Connected Healthcare Cybersecurity (CHC): Write an insight paper on the technical or policy aspects of connected healthcare cybersecurity, working with the CHC Workshop Program Committee in partnership with the Hub and IEEE.
- Data Science Insight Paper: Write an insight paper on opportunities and best practices in data science literacy, data science innovations, or developing collaborative data science ecosystems with domain scientists.
- TIPPSS: Write an insight paper on state, federal and global policy evolution for connected healthcare and development of TIPPSS for clinical IoT – Trust, Identity, Privacy, Protection, Safety and Security for clinical Internet of Things. (See Florence’s book “Women Securing the Future with TIPPSS for IoT”, ISBN 978-3-030-15705-0; also IEEE/UL P2933 standards Working Group on clinical IoT data and device interoperability with TIPPSS)
- Strategic Communications: Enable strategic communications leveraging social media channels for key Hub initiatives as outlined above and on the Hub website. (https://nebigdatahub.org/about/)
- Create a Data Science Bootcamp for Humanities graduate students at Princeton.
- Pandemic and natural hazard and disaster research
Desired Skills and Experience
- Domain or data science experience, skills and interest in at least one of the Hub’s focus areas including Health; Education + Data Literacy; Responsible Data Science including security + privacy + ethics; or Urban to Rural Communities. (https://nebigdatahub.org/about/)
- Intellectual curiosity and interest in learning more about data science, enabling researcher collaboration for data and domain scientists, and increasing data science literacy especially for underserved students, institutions, communities.
- Strong collaboration and leadership skills, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively for project management and progress while working remotely.
- Excellent written communications skills with both internal and external audiences.
- Knowledge of social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn.
For more information about the Northeast Big Data Innovation Hub and our strategic plan and activities, visit https://nebigdatahub.org/about and view our strategic plan (http://nebigdatahub.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/NEBDHub-Strategic-Plan-6.1.2020.pdf) .