GradFUTURES Fellowship Description
Ithaka S+R is a not-for-profit research and strategic consulting service. We help academic and cultural communities serve the public good and navigate economic, technological, and demographic change. Our aim is to support higher education by reducing costs while also improving student outcomes, faculty productivity, and community engagement. We approach this goal with a legacy of working with universities and colleges as well as the institutions that support teaching, learning, and research—libraries, publishing organizations, cultural institutions, and scholarly societies. Our work has been instrumental in helping leaders in higher education learn from rigorous and well-designed research studies and adapt to new realities and opportunities.
As an Ithaka S+R intern (fellow), you will contribute to projects that help shape the national postsecondary educational landscape and improve the lives of students and other key stakeholders in higher education. You will have an opportunity to learn from our researchers while being responsible for high-quality and on-time completion of projects that have an impact on the field.
This is a funded opportunity for approximately 13 weeks during Summer 2021. Full-time and part-time opportunities are available.
The goals of the internship are:
● To participate in a unique learning experience and address critical challenges in higher education;
● To develop a broader knowledge of Ithaka S+R’s work through exposure to and active participation in discussions beyond the scope of the intern’s specific project;
● To collaborate with researchers and analysts to produce specific deliverables;
● To present project-based accomplishments completed during the internship to showcase skills learned.
Interns will support one or more projects. Internship project components and deliverables will be defined in collaboration with selected candidates. Potential tasks may include:
● Contributing to the development of new projects (e.g. scoping, background research, instrument design)
● Participating in data collection (e.g. literature reviews, desk research, interviewing, etc. )
● Conducting data analysis
● Developing reports, memos, blog posts, and/or other research outputs
Experience and Skills
Any combination of professional experience, volunteer work, coursework, and other transferable skills may be applied toward these qualifications.
● Pursuing a Master’s degree or Ph.D in a field that requires strong writing, communication, and problem
solving and/or quantitative and policy analysis (preferred).
● Strong interest in solving challenges in higher education.
● Comfort working with quantitative and/or qualitative data.
● Superior writing, communications, and interpersonal skills.
● Highly effective in communication with both internal and external stakeholders.
● Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, while ensuring acute attention to detail and accuracy.
● Demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts and research data into compelling, accessible, and
well-written reports and engaging presentations.
● Enthusiasm for learning new skills.
● Ability to participate in our open, collaborative, and team-oriented culture.
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust.
About ITHAKA S+R
Our team is passionate about our mission and supporting one another. We enjoy working together to create opportunities for people to learn and grow out in the world, and we bring that same commitment to helping our teammates develop in our careers and our lives. One of our core values is belonging. We embrace differences, and believe that the things that make each of us unique are the things that help us see new insights and build better solutions.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and a detailed cover letter explaining their interests in Ithaka S+R’s mission and/or prior experiences that demonstrate a strong commitment to improving higher education. Only complete applications will be considered. The deadline to apply is April 15, 2021.